Sunday, February 28, 2010

The Next Spice Girl!

I am back from a long hiatus. No good reason really, just haven't felt totally inspired to post. But I did get some recent motivation after receiving a really awesome present from my husband for my birthday. After hearing me complain about the lack of cupboard space for our spices every time I reached for the cumin, he decided to do something about it. I received 27 magnetic spice tins to put on our fridge and also had the pleasure of picking out some fresh spices at different stores in NYC (i.e. Penzey's, Kalustyan's). Holy cow, these high end spices make the ones you buy at the super market seem like dirt. Seriously, they are completely worth the extra money and add such punch to every dish, you will never go back to Ms. Dash.

Dustin added his creative touch and made labels on the computer. They look like art on our fridge.

Along with this exciting addition to the kitchen, I had the honor of being a call on my cooking idol, Lynne Rossetto Kasper's radio show, Splendid Table. I spoke to Lynne to get some ideas about some unusual must-have spices, how to store them, and how to use them in various dishes. Although I was very nervous (I said okay about 345 times!), I consider this my 5 minutes of fame and loved speaking to Lynne.

Listen to my conversation with Lynne below. Just fast forward to 41:42.

No comments: